DogSpunk

Have you had your daily dose ?

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

TIMELESS MOVIE CHARACTERS: Buffalo Bill

A few years ago and some days after recovering from watching Requiem For A Dream (what an utterly fucking depressing movie, but awesome nonetheless), I was searching online and stumbled onto this awesome article at 141Empire. It featured one of my favorite movie characters of all time: the Ass-To-Ass guy, or "Uncle Hank."

It was some of the funniest pieces of comedy I'd ever read and I always wondered if the author, Mike "80's" Butler, would ever write anything like it again. Well, years have passed and sadly, the site hasn't been updated.

Nevertheless, Mr. Butler's act of recognizing the awesome and exciting characters in films that everyone seems to forget was inspiring. Since nothing has been posted to 141empire in ages, we here at DogSpunk have decided to take the torch and continue to pay tribute to Timeless Movie Characters.

We hope you enjoy our series, and to kick it off, we are recognizing the comedic prowess of Ted Levine as Buffalo Bill in Silence of The Lambs.

---Silence--

If there is one movie that I can say without a doubt is near perfection in every aspect - casting, acting, direction, musical score, etc., it's Silence of The Lambs. It's an absolute cinematic masterpiece.

It has contributed so much to pop culture and inspired countless imitations of its characters and scenes in other films. Anthony Hopkins's performance alone has chilled movie fanatics of many generations: "A census taker once tried to test me. I ate his liver with some fava beans and a nice chianti."

Anyway, something many people haven't considered is as much as Silence of The Lambs was psychologically intriguing, thrilling, suspenseful and downright frightening, it was also really fucking funny.

As the twisted, woman-suit-making Buffalo Bill, (or Jame Gumb) Ted Levine had some of the most awesome and unintentionally funny lines of any character in a movie about serial killers.

---"I'd fuck me"---

Who could forget how Buffalo Bill revealed that not only was he homicidal, but also narcissistic ? What he said to himself with Q Lazzarus's haunting song "Goodbye Horses" in the background is something that leaves an imprint in your mind...but only because it's so fucking funny and comes out of nowhere that you will laugh each time you remember it:

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: [to a mirror] Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

With a sexy-ass nipple ring like that, who wouldn't ?

---"It puts the lotion in the basket"---

This one probably hits a sore spot for many people, because it IS one of the most emotionally striking scenes in the film by far. However, that still doesn't take away the fact that Buffalo Bill's famous "Lotion" speech is hilarious from the first time he tells "it" to put the lotion on its skin to the very last moment when he flips out like an enraged maniac.

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.

Catherine Martin: Mister... my family will pay cash. Whatever ransom you're askin' for, they pay it.

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: It rubs the lotion on its skin or else it gets the hose again.

[to his dog, Precious]

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: Yes, it will, Precious, won't it? It will get the hose!
Catherine Martin: Okay... okay... okay. Mister, if you let me go, I won't - I won't press charges I promise. See, my mom is a real important woman... I guess you already know that.

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: Now it places the lotion in the basket.

Catherine Martin: Please! Please I wanna go home! I wanna go home please!

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: It places the lotion in the basket.

Catherine Martin: I wanna see my mommy! Please I wanna see my...

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: Put the fucking lotion in the basket!

---"A great big fat person"---

By far my favorite scene in the movie. I love to randomly ask people the same question that Buffalo Bill asks Clarice and see if they know what I'm talking about. Most people react with a perplexed expression on their face, but for those who are in the know, they can't help but bust out laughing.

Ted Levine's facial gestures and trademark voice is just too funny:

Clarice Starling: Your name is?

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: Oh, uh Jack Gordon.

Clarice Starling: Mr. Gordon, good, uh... well Frederica used to work for Mrs.

Lippman. Did you know her?

Jame "Buffalo Bill" Gumb: No, nuh-uh. Oh wait... was she a great big fat person?

Clarice Starling: Yeah she was a big girl, sir.

---Lotion---

This here's just for kicks. The Greenskeepers, a band I know nearly nothing about, released the music video "Lotion," a song based on Buffalo Bill's lines accompanied by scenes lifted from the film.

If you are a fan of Silence of The Lambs and have any sense of humor at all, you will enjoy it.

However, If you are one of those people that to this day takes Silence of The Lambs seriously and is actually still afraid to watch it (and believes that Jame Gumb lives next door) or gets offended by scenes from it, then I suggest not playing the video.

---"Precious !"---

Well, this concludes our tribute to Buffalo Bill, timeless not only for his obsession with becoming a woman, fabulous and memorable lines, but also for busting out arguably the most famous man-gina in cinematic history.


Technorati Tags: Silence of The Lambs, Buffalo Bill, Jame Gumb, Ted Levine, Anthony Hopkins, Movies, Films, Movie, Film, Funny Movie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home